Professional Courses in Engineering & Technology through ODL mode
The erstwhile Distance Education Council (DEC) earlier, on receipt of direction from Ministry of Human Resource Development, wrote to all Institutions providing programmes through open and Distance learning mode to stop offering BE/B.tech programme through Distance learning mode from the year 2009-10.
- AICTE in 2010 and 2011 also, notified its policy not to recognise the qualifications acquired through distance education mode at Diploma, Bachelors & Master’s level in the field of Engineering and Technology including Architecture, Town Planning, Pharmacy, Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Applied Arts & Crafts and Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM). AICTE thus recognizes only MBA and MCA programmes through distance mode, provided it had the approval of Joint Committee of DEC & UGC and the recognition status was notified on AICTE web
- The University Grants Commission, after taking over the regulatory function of erstwhile DEC and as per mandate given to it by Ministry of Human Resource Development to regulate Open and Distance Learning in Universities and Affiliated Colleges has decided that:
- No University/Institution deemed to be university/Institution should offer Diploma,Bachelor s and Master’s level programme in Engineering and Technology other than MBA and MCA till the finalization of UGC (Open and Distance Learning) Regulations, 2014 or notification of relevant Regulations by an independent regulatory authority established by Central to deal with ODL education in higher education system in the country, whichever is earlier.
- UGC/AICTE will take action against those Universities! Institution Deemed to be Universities/Institutions which are conducting professional courses in Engineering and Technology in ODL mode (other than MBA and MCA).
- UGC has also decided not to consider any request for ex-post facto approval for ODL programmesoffered by any University/Institution deemed to be University/Institution at this
The above is for information of all concerned, including students and parents.